Artist Bursaries Open Call with Galway Arts Centre
Artist Bursaries Open Call – Galway Arts Centre
Galway Arts Centre and Galway Culture Company
Role of Galway Culture Company
Partner and Funder
This project falls under our second and third strategic aim;
Support and Develop Place based Cultural programming
Provide Supports to the Cultural and Creative Sector
Galway Arts Centre in partnership with Galway Culture Company are delighted to announce an open call for eight bursary awards for artists based or from Galway City and County.
The aim of this bursary award is to provide opportunity and support for artists from or living in Galway City and County to develop their work and practice through support of their time, research, materials, and mentorship/training (if applicable). This round of awards furthers the strategic aims of Galway Arts Centre and Galway Culture Company to support artists to live and work in the Galway region and to develop sustainable creative practices and ambitious careers.
There are eight bursary awards of €5,000 each:
– Two bursaries are for professional artists who wish to develop their practice through a new body of artistic work or research.
– Two bursaries are for emerging artists either from or living in Galway City/County who have graduated or qualified within the last three years.
– Two bursaries are for artists who have lived experience of displacement or intergenerational migration, or are from historically marginalised communities or groups. (If you are uncertain if you are eligible for this strand, please contact us and we will be happy to help)
– One bursary is for an artist working or developing research in the area of environmental sustainability, art and ecology or climate change.
– One bursary is for an emerging/independent curator who wishes to develop their practice through the development of an exhibition or through expanded curatorial practice that may span research, writing, editorial work and pedagogical programmes.
In addition, one awardee will be offered a solo exhibition of their work in Galway Arts Centre in 2025.
Projects outcomes-what we expect from this project
- To provide opportunity and support for artists from or living in Galway City and County to develop their work and practice through support of their time, research, materials, and mentorship/training (if applicable).
- To support artists to live and work in the Galway region and to develop sustainable creative practices and ambitious careers.
How this project is funded
Funded by Galway Culture Company, which is supported by the Government of Ireland under the National Development Plan through the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media.
This project takes place from January 2024 through 2025.