Open Call: Artist Bursaries
Galway Arts Centre in partnership with Galway Culture Company are delighted to announce an open call for eight bursary awards for artists based or from Galway City and County.
The aim of this bursary award is to provide opportunity and support for artists from or living in Galway City and County to develop their work and practice through support of their time, research, materials, and mentorship/training (if applicable). This round of awards furthers the strategic aims of Galway Arts Centre and Galway Culture Company to support artists to live and work in the Galway region and to develop sustainable creative practices and ambitious careers.
There are eight bursary awards of €5,000 each:
– Two bursaries are for professional artists who wish to develop their practice through a new body of artistic work or research.
– Two bursaries are for emerging artists either from or living in Galway City/County who have graduated or qualified within the last three years.
– Two bursaries are for artists who have lived experience of displacement or intergenerational migration, or are from historically marginalised communities or groups. (If you are uncertain if you are eligible for this strand, please contact us and we will be happy to help)
– One bursary is for an artist working or developing research in the area of environmental sustainability, art and ecology or climate change.
– One bursary is for an emerging/independent curator who wishes to develop their practice through the development of an exhibition or through expanded curatorial practice that may span research, writing, editorial work and pedagogical programmes.
In addition, one awardee will be offered a solo exhibition of their work in Galway Arts Centre in 2025.
In your application, please clearly state the bursary strand that you are applying for.
If you would like for your proposal to be considered for the solo exhibition opportunity in Galway Arts Centre, please clearly state this in your application. This is an optional element and will in no way adversely affect your proposal if you do not wish to be considered for the solo exhibition opportunity.
To be eligible for these bursaries, you must be an artist either living or from Galway City or County.
Application Process and Requirements:
To apply for an artist bursary, please submit the following materials:
- Artist Statement: A short statement describing your artistic practice. (maximum 500 words)
- A selection of your recent work, demonstrating your artistic practice: please include up to eight high-quality digital images, video/sound links, or other relevant documentation with contextual information of medium, scale, duration and description of work (jpeg/ pdf /word doc files only please)
- CV/Resume: A current CV/resume highlighting your artistic experience, exhibitions, awards, and relevant other experience.
- A proposal that outlines your ambitions and use of the award and how it will benefit your practice (maximum 1,000 words)
- A budget that itemises your proposed use of the award, you should provide quotes (where applicable) to support your budget.
Applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Galway Arts Centre/Galway Culture Company Artists Bursary Award’.
Deadline for Submissions: 5pm Friday, 23 February 2024
Applications will be reviewed by representatives from Galway Arts Centre, Galway Culture Company and an independent assessor. The selection will be based on:
– Artistic Quality and Potential (30)
– Ambition and vision of the proposal (30)
– Feasibility of the proposed ideas (20)
– Potential impact of the award on the development of the applicant’s practice (20)
The successful applicants will be notified via email by 4 March 2024.
We look forward to receiving your applications. If you have any further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.