Open Call: CYBERNATE Digital Arts Residency Ireland – France
Open Call Invitation for artists based in Galway County and/or City and Producers from France
Deadline for Submission: 25 January 2024
Galway Culture Company, in partnership with several arts and development organisations, has developed Cybernate #2, a digital arts residency. Building on the success of last year’s programme, the 2024 residency is for Galway based artists who specialise in digital arts. The programme will take place from Nov 2023 to July 2024.
Galway | France
January to June 2024
Cybernate is funded by Galway Culture Company
Produced by Culture Works
Supported by Galway County Council, The French Embassy in Ireland and the Hacnum Network
In partnership with Pôle Pixel, CREW, ATU and Centre for Creative Technologies at the University of Galway.
Galway Culture Company is supported by the Government of Ireland under the National Development Plan through the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media.
About the Open Call
The Cybernate Digital Arts Residency is delighted to announce an open call for its second residency programme between Ireland and France. This unique opportunity is targeted at four artists based in Galway City and/or County, and four French producers, aiming to foster cross-cultural collaboration in the digital arts sector.
The Cybernate Residency 2024 provides opportunities for four artists and four producers to collaborate on digital arts projects.
This call is open to Artists with a background and expertise in the use of immersive technologies and many types of digital media for creating future narratives for immersive storytelling. Cybernate invites artists with existing project ideas in the digital art space that they wish to develop further in the context of the residency and with the view to expanding their network and opportunities in France. We are looking for Galway based artists who would like to build a relationship with a French Producer and collaborate on a project.
Cybernate invites producers with experience in delivering and producing projects in this immersive and digital arts space and with a keen interest in collaborating with Irish artists. The residency provides producers with an opportunity to work closely with artists on the development of their ideas and provide support and expertise to the selected Irish artists.
This residency serves as a bridge, connecting producers with Irish talent and fostering a reciprocal relationship of creativity and professional growth.
Areas of interest for the realisation of project ideas:
- the design of immersive virtual social experiences
- virtual sound spatialisation
- the design of interactive virtual creative spaces
- the design of hybrid experiences between the real and the virtual
- the creation of virtual visual works and/or immersive performances
- Artist must be either based in Galway County or City
- Artists should apply with a project idea in early development and suitable for the above areas of interests
- Producers must be residents in France
- Both should have a background or experience in immersive and digital arts
Aims and Objectives
- increase mutual knowledge (ecosystem and capacity building, new artistic collaborations, long-term strategy) for the selected artists and producers, and the sharing of ideas and best practices around creativity and digital practices
- enhance connections between participating artists, producers and partners, leading to future artistic productions
- generating long-term partnerships and collaborative projects between France and Ireland for the future.
Objectives for artists
- Provide practical support to residency artists in the form of space, research resources, development time and opportunities for experimentation and reflection
- Provide specialised, in-depth mentoring for developing work in digital space
- Provide access to equipment for testing ideas and develop work
- Access to networks in Galway and France to develop research into project and production
- Engagement with digital artists to help with the development of their idea
Objectives for producers
- Offer knowledge and expertise in developing work in immersive and digital arts space
- Access to networks in Galway and provide opportunities to the wider arts and cultural sector in Ireland
- Development opportunity to produce work with Irish based artists
- Provide expertise and knowledge for Irish artists in producing digital artworks
- Share knowledge with the local arts sector in Galway
Successful applicants will receive…
- A residency fee of 4,000 Euro
- Access to studio space for up to one month in Galway
- Access to some equipment to develop their project ideas and provision of mentors and expert advice
- Reimbursement of flight costs to Lyon of up to 200 Euro
- Accommodation in Lyon
- A residency fee of 2,000 Euro
- Reimbursement of travel costs to Galway of up to 200 Euro
- Accommodation in Galway
- Reimbursement of travel costs to Lyon (if applicable)
- Optional: One-night accommodation in Lyon (TBC)
KEY DATES FOR THE CYBERNATE RESIDENCY
Selection: early February 2024
- Artists: Start 04 March, end in final week of March
- Producers: Start 04 March, end on 08 March
Artists: Start 12 April, end on 18 April
Deadline for Submission: 25 January 2024